When considering a degree in Computer Programming:
The main work of computer programmers is to create software, build websites, and related applications, which majority of the people use every day. So programmers ought to possess an in-depth understanding and knowledge of various programming languages, and have good knowledge about how computer hardware functions. Their work includes writing code, testing new and existing programs for bugs, and troubleshooting systems when they don’t operate properly.
Computer Programming Education
If one dreams of going in for a computer programmer’s career, one’s likely to need the required education. It’s surprising that unlike other professions associated with the technology related industries, the future of a programmer’s not that good, and likely to decline over a period of time within the United States, as per the findings of the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
A probable reason could be the outsourcing of various programming related jobs to overseas venues, where the labor is quite cheap and affordable. It means it’s going to be tougher for one to find a computer programmer’s job. A good education background can provide leverage in securing a more competitive job.
Becoming a Competitive Programmer
The question is how much study and education does one need to become competitive? In this particular field, the education counts a lot. In accordance to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, almost 8 out of 10 computer programmers held an associate’s degree, or some higher qualification in the year 2006, and almost half the total number of employees held a bachelor’s degree. Two out of 10 candidates had a recognized graduate degree.
The fact is learning a range of programming languages does take a lot of time, and one’s likely to need a substantial degree of relevant education to master the complexities of constantly evolving languages. Sometimes degrees availed in the field of computer programming can be referred to as “computer science” or “computer information sciences degrees”. The study of programming is carried out using popular computer programming languages and development environments such as:
- Basic computer systems
- Basic software management
In addition, if one chooses to avail additional education and proceed from a bachelor’s degree to some advanced level one’s likely to specialize in:
- Cake PHP
- Ruby on Rails
- D Language
Computer Programmer Salaries
The earnings are usually good and high, and pay scales justify the efforts put in and expenditure incurred in becoming eligible for the job. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median earnings of computer programmers were approximately $65,530 per annum. The programmers employed in software development field enjoyed the best earnings – some programmers even getting annual salaries in the range of six figures.
Getting the Job
The industry is expected to become more competitive, and a few pointers can help in availing an upper edge to stand out in the crowd. Here are a few tips:
- Be More Educated – If one has an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree, it’s recommended to proceed ahead with the next qualification, which can enhance your career chances.
- Get Necessary Certifications – If one specializes in a specific programming language, it’s possible to get certified in the particular language. Becoming certified conveys to the employers that they’re employing the right kind of person for the right kind of job, and it’s a fact that employers prefer choosing a certified candidate, rather than a non-certified one. The career counselor can help in deciding how to go about it.
- Make A Website – It’s recommended to build a website describing one’s career as a programmer, and subsequently post the resume and other contact information. One can also include some samples of code written in the past as an example. This can convey to the employers that one’s skilled and proficient.
- Network – This can be perhaps the best option while hunting for a new job. One can communicate with others through both online and personal communications. One can also engage within a networking groups and present oneself, by subscribing to career events and interacting with associations.